House fire sends woman to hospital

By on March 19, 2017
Firefighters had to tear away parts of the roof in order to extinguish flames that were in the ceiling of this one-storey home on Parcel Ave. (Michael Potestio/Herald)

A woman who was trapped in a fire that broke out in her home Sunday morning (Mar. 19) was saved when neighbours came to her rescue.

“She wasn’t able to get out on her own, but some fast-acting neighbours stepped up and got her out of the building,” said Merritt Fire Chief Dave Tomkinson.

The Merritt Fire Rescue Department (MFRD) was called to the house fire on Parcel Street just before 11 a.m., arriving at the one-storey home with 20 firefighters.

The woman was the lone occupant in the house and was transported to hospital via Emergency Health Services.

Tomkinson said no other injuries have been reported.

The fire was extinguished by about noon.

Most of the fire was in the roof, and firefighters used hooks to tear away the ceiling in order to put out the flames, Tomkinson said.

Tomkinson said it’s not clear how the fire started at this time.

An earlier version of this story incorrectly identified the road the house is located on as Parcel Avenue. The correct name is Parcel Street. The Herald regrets the error.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *