Police seize cocaine after citizens’ complaint
• On Aug. 30, at approximately 2 a.m., Merritt RCMP checked a vehicle parked in the parking lot of a local licenced establishment. Officers found the driver, a 32-year-old woman from Kelowna, had been drinking as well as smoking marijuana.
The woman was arrested for possession of marijuana and later released with a warning about possessing marijuana and the dangers of being behind the wheel of a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
The woman elected to call a taxi and spend the night at a local motel. A search of her vehicle resulted in the seizure of a small quantity of marijuana.
This is a great example of proactive preventative policing that helps ensure the safety of all those that live in our community, said Staff Sgt. Sheila White.
• On Aug. 31, Merritt RCMP responded to a complaint of mischief to vehicle on the 1600 block of Armstrong Street. The complainant reported that someone had poured paint on the windshield of the truck. There was extensive damage to the vehicle. If anyone has any information, they are asked to call the Merritt Detachment or Crimestoppers.
• On Aug. 31, at approximately 10 p.m., Merritt RCMP responded to a break and enter in the 1700 block of Quilchena Avenue. The homeowner advised that a bicycle had been left and that the front window near the door was smashed.
Further investigation revealed that both the front and back door were open. No one was located inside the residence. Items stolen included alcohol, money and jewelry.
Forensic evidence left at the scene was examined by Kamloops Forensic Identification Section. This examination resulted in identifying the suspect as local 25-year-old Dustin Gray. Gray was arrested and subsequently charged with Break and Enter with Intent and Breach of Probation. Gray has been remanded into custody until Sept. 25 where he will again appear in court.
• On Aug. 31 at approximately 10:30 p.m., Merritt RCMP responded to a report of a fight at a local licenced establishment. Investigation revealed that an intoxicated male refused to leave the establishment and assaulted another man when he repeatedly tried to re-enter. Police arrested a local 49-year-old man. The man was lodged in cells due to his level of his drunkenness.
• On Sept. 3, Merritt RCMP responded to a complaint of a break and enter in the 1700 block of Pine Street. Someone had broken into a shed and several tools were missing. The break and enter likely occurred between Aug. 13 and 17. If anyone has any information, they are asked to call the Merritt Detachment or Crimestoppers.
• On Sept. 5, at approximately 1 a.m., a citizen reported a suspicious male in the 2200 block of Merritt Avenue. The male was wearing a black baseball hat with dark jeans and dark shoes. A short time later, police located a male hiding under a truck in a carport in the 1900 block of Second Avenue.
Local 25-year-old-man Lorne Dunn was arrested for trespass at night and breach of probation. Dunn told police that he had just been released from jail that day and had nowhere to live. Dunn was held in custody where he appeared before a Provincial Court Judge and accepted responsibility for his actions and pled guilty. He received a 90-day jail sentence and a one-year probation.
• On Sept. 4, 2012 at approximately 7 p.m., a concerned citizen flagged down an officer and reported that they had just observed a drug deal in progress on Quilchena Avenue. The citizen gave a description of a suspect vehicle, and police stopped the vehicle and detained the driver. Subsequent investigation resulted in the seizure of a small amount of cocaine. The investigation is continuing. Police are asking citizens to be vigilant and to report suspicious behavior/activity.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Merritt RCMP at 368-4262, or Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.