POLICE REPORT: Police seize alcohol, marijuana from local teens
• On Sept. 5 at approximately 2:42 p.m., Merritt RCMP received a tip from the public that a 44-year-old Merritt man, who was wanted on an outstanding warrant, was on Quilchena Avenue. Police attended the area and located Edwin Feldmann. A warrant had been issued for Feldmann because he had failed to appear in court on a previous assault charge. He was arrested then released from custody to appear in Provincial Court Sept. 25.
• On Sept. 8 at approximately 11 p.m., Merritt RCMP responded to a citizen’s complaint of a disturbance behind the Coquihalla Middle School. The complainant advised that they heard crashing and banging around the portable behind the gym area. Police arrived and observed a group of teenagers, aged 14 and 15, in front of the portables drinking. A quantity of alcohol was seized as well as marijuana. The local teens, a mixture of males and females, were detained by police. Their parents were called and either attended the school to pick their children up or the children were delivered to their parents’ homes by police. Two violation tickets were issued.
• On Sept. 13 at approximately 3 p.m., Merritt RCMP received a complaint of shoplifting from Walmart. The business advised that they had a 32-year-old female in their custody for trying to steal electronics. Police attended the store and arrested a local woman who will appear in Provincial Court in early December to answer to a Theft Under $5,000 charge. All items were recovered.
• Sometime during the night of Sept.14, Merritt RCMP were advised that a vehicle’s side mirror had been broken off in the 2100 block of Granite Avenue. This is the second report in as many months of damage being done to vehicles in this area. Police are asking residents to be vigilant and report any suspicious behaviour to police.
• On Sept. 14 at approximately 8:30 p.m., Merritt RCMP observed a vehicle westbound on Nicola Avenue without any tail lights. Police stopped the vehicle, spoke to the lone male driver and noted a strong odour of marijuana coming from the vehicle. The driver, a local 24 year old, was arrested for possession of marijuana. Subsequent investigation resulted in the seizure of a small quantity of marijuana. It was determined that the driver’s ability to operate a motor vehicle was impaired by drugs and his driving privileges were suspended for 24 hours.
• Sometime during the night of Sept. 15, Merritt RCMP were advised that a horse was stolen from the 700 Block of Coldwater Road. The horse is brown with black tail and mane, and also has a white mark on the forehead.
• On Sept. 18 at approximately 2 p.m., Merritt RCMP received a report of an erratic driver that had sped through a flagging crew on Highway 5A South of the Helmer Brake Check. Police located the vehicle and investigation revealed that the vehicle had been stolen from Merritt a few hours previous.
If anyone has information on any of these crimes, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or the Merritt RCMP Detachment at 378-4262.