- Fire near Coldwater reserve under controlPosted 2 days ago
- Phone scammer calls claiming to be with MFRDPosted 3 days ago
- Arsonist sentenced to one year behind barsPosted 3 days ago
- Coldwater Avenue grant deniedPosted 3 days ago
- TOTA Caravan postponedPosted 3 days ago
- Expenditure bylaw adopted, City to buy “island”Posted 3 days ago
- Handle with care: Former Merritt residents share the story of newborn ‘butterfly baby’Posted 4 days ago
- District of Logan Lake ready for UBCMPosted 4 days ago
- B.C. seeks mining agreement with AlaskaPosted 5 days ago
- Multi-use trail ready for feet, paws and wheelsPosted 5 days ago
Seniors continue to struggle, juniors win again
The senior boys rugby team was beaten soundly on Thursday by a Sahali High team coach Kevin Dixon described as “bigger and stronger.”
“The effort was there,” Dixon said, “but we couldn’t stop their big runs.”
Derek Velt and Kyle Lamirande had strong games despite the loss.
Meanwhile, the junior team, also playing in Kamloops, won their clash against Sahali High 14-7.
“They all played well,” Dixon said of the junior squad, “and finally the back line scored some points.”
Max Heppner and Ryan Peck had “incredible games” while Ben Thuveson and Cam Braham also played well. Taylor Lamb kicked both conversions.
Both squads are back on the road again this week, playing Brocklehrust Secondary in Kamloops.
Nicola Valley lacrosse teams opened their season on the weekend in Salmon Arm. The bantams lost 9-5 while the novices lost their match 12-5.
There will be games played this weekend at the Shulus Arena in Lower Nicola.
Merritt local goes
Tyrell Pozzobon scored a 75 in the junior steer riding category at the B.C. Rodeo Association’s indoor rodeo held in Williams Lake last weekend. The tally was enough to land him a second place tie with Marina Laviolette of Hazelton.
Local Mike Gill rode his way to a first place finish in the bull riding category at the same event.
Meanwhile, Justin Maier won first prize in the tie-down roping category at the High School Rodeos of BC on April 7 with a time of 12.03 seconds.
Later, Maier teamed up with Ty Mason of Kamloops for the team roping test where they placed second with a time of 16.08 seconds.