An infant was sent to hospital for smoke inhalation after a battery pack that was charging in a house in the 2600 block of Clapperton Avenue burst into flames.

The Merritt Fire Rescue Department was called to the home at about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday (May 31).

“It was lithium batteries for an RC car that caught fire,” Fire Chief Dave Tomkinson told the Herald.

“The fire was relatively minor, but it did [produce] some toxic smoke and there was a family in there and ultimately BC Ambulance transported an infant to Nicola Valley Hospital,” he said.

Tomkinson said the infant was sent to hospital to be assessed as a precaution.

Seven firefighters responded to the call and ventilated the home.

“They must have overheated or there was some anomaly,” Tomkinson said of the batteries.

He said the residents extinguished the flamers prior to the fire department’s arrival.