As of May 20, 2020, online crime reporting is active in Merritt.
“This is meant to provide citizens with the convenience to report certain crimes online while freeing call takers and frontline staff to focus on higher priority calls, which improves overall safety and response times in the city,” reads a release from the City of Merritt.
Crimes that are eligible to be reported online are:
- Damage/mischief to property under $5000
- Damage/mischief to a vehicle under $5000
- Hit and run to an unoccupied vehicle or property
- Theft of bicycle under $5000
- Theft under $5000
- Theft from vehicle under $5000
- Lost property
Crimes above must also meet the following criteria to be reported online:
- No witnesses or suspects
- There are no items involving personal identity, firearms, licence plates or decals
For any crimes that do not fit the online reporting criteria reports to police should be made by calling 911 in an emergency, or the Merritt detachment non-emergency line at 250-378-4262.