The man found not criminally responsible for murdering his three children in his Merritt home in 2008 will not be able to apply for escorted day passes.

Allan Schoenborn was denied permission to apply for escorted day passes from the Port Coquitlam Forensic Psychiatric Hospital where he resides by the B.C. Review Board on Feb. 12.

Schoenborn’s treatment team told the provincial review panel he was not fit to be released.

They said he posed too great a risk to public safety to be allowed out.

Schoenborn told the review board he deserved a chance to go for a cup of coffee or a swim outside of the facility. He said he’d been in the hospital for four years now and had been waiting patiently over that time.

He told board members that he deserves the release because he’s done work such as anger management and relapse prevention.

His treating psychiatrist Marcel Hediger told the board that over the past three years, Schoenborn hasn’t suffered from delusional symptoms or been involved in a violent incident.

He also said Schoenborn’s treatment has been focused on anger management and Schoenborn has had verbal altercations with staff.

He has little insight into what triggers these outbursts or what caused him to kill his children, Hediger said.

Days before the hearing, Schoenborn spent the night in isolation for verbally lashing out at a nurse.

Due to these incidents occurring in the hospital’s environment, Hediger said he was concerned as to what could happen if Schoenborn is released into the unpredictable environment outside the facility.

After the hearing, Dave Teixeira, the man who speaks for the family of Schoenborn’s ex-wife Darcie Clarke, said Schoenborn will be kept in custody for another year.

Recently, Schoenborn’s case has sparked potential changes to a federal law, which would provide a new “high risk” designation to offenders like him who are deemed not criminally responsible. The proposed changes would allow these offenders to have hearings every three years as opposed to annually.

Last year, Schoenborn requested to be transferred to a facility in Manitoba to live closer to his mother, and the board approved that recommendation. However, the Criminal Justice Branch of B.C. scuttled the transfer.

In the spring of 2008, Schoenborn killed his three children: 10-year-old Kaitlynne, eight-year-old Max and five-year-old Cordon.

He left them to be discovered by Clarke and fled into the woods. He was found a week later.

A judge subsequently determined he was not criminally responsible due to a mental disorder and he was admitted to the forensic hospital in Port Coquitlam where his case is reviewed every year.

With files from the Canadian Press